Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Funny Anecdotal Thanksgiving Story - Part One:

One time, might have been in '81, maybe '82, I woke up on Thanksgiving and went out to meet some buddies and trip. I went to the designated meeting spot, a shopping mall, and found most of the stores were closed, but the mall was open, probably for the mall-walkers. I went into the gameroom and played some video games, smoked a handful of cigarettes, went outside and smoked a joint, wandered aimlessly for a while, then I went to the pay phone and called people. Nobody wanted to venture out and trip. I called them a bunch of lightweights, and went back inside. I found that despite most of the stores being closed, the bar (Ruby Tuesday's) was open, and since they routinely served underage mall rats, I went in and got me a shot & beer buzz going. I used their pay phone to call my buddy Greg, thinking at least he would come out and trip, but he declined. I was disgusted. I went in the bathroom and ate a bunch of acid, figuring if nobody else wanted to trip, then I'd just trip alone, fuck 'em. I had a couple more beers and left. I went up into the woods and smoked another joint. Then I went for a walk. There was still a lot of undeveloped land back then, and some old dumping grounds with open sulfur pits and things of that nature. I just walked around for hours, digging the outdoors. Then I started to feel cold. I guess the alcohol must've worn off. So I walked the railroad tracks and went home.

When I got home, the house was full of people. I had completely forgotten that it was Thanksgiving. I know that I sat down at the table and ate, (probably played with my food, made Devil's Tower out of smashed taters, you know, the usual weirdness that my family had grown accustomed to...) but I really don't remember the details of it, or if I said anything weirder than usual. I know there was some beer on the back porch staying cold. I know I sat out there and had a few. When I went back inside, my brother was watching It's A Wonderful Life. It was the Turnerized version, and he went to the tv and turned the color off. He said, "There, now it looks right." I sat down and melted into the La-Z-Boy and watched it with him. After it was over, he asked me if I had any reefer, I said yeah, and we went out back and smoked a joint. He had to know I was tripping balls, but he didn't say anything about it. One of his buddies came over and the three of us went out four wheeling in the snow. When we got back, I was starting to come down off the trip, and I had consumed enough alcohol to be sleepy, so I went to bed. That's my trippin' on Thanksgiving story. My poor Ma probably never knew that I had joined the family for Thanksgiving dinner while tripping balls, and that's just as well, I suppose. I gave her enough grey hairs. Now that I have a head and beard full of grey hairs myself, it's a fond memory (sort of) to look back on, with a smirk.

No comments:

Post a Comment